6.10.2014

New Blog Design & I Need My Monster!

Here I am again with my 2nd Book Talk Tuesday with Deanna Jump!  

But before I introduce my book for the week, can we please talk about my new blog design?!  I mean, OH.MY.GOSH.  I'm in love.  It's so me, I can't stop coming to my page to look at it.  Kassie at Designs by Kassie did such an amazing job.  I gave her a couple of blogs that I admired, some colors I loved and a million different patterns/elements that I'd like to see in my blog (in my head, there was no way anyone could put it all go together and it still look nice).  But she put it together so beautifully, I couldn't believe it.  You could probably tell her you wanted polka dots, plaid, and stripes in the weirdest color scheme and she could still make it gorgeous.  She was so patient when I was indecisive about options and got images to me super quick.  I don't know how she does it, but I love her!  If you need a little facelift for your blog, she is definitely your girl!  I cannot recommend her enough.  Thank you, Kassie!

So onto my book talk for the week!  My pick for the week is I Need My Monster written by Amanda Noll and illustrated by Howard McWilliam.  



Just from last week's book talk, you should know that I LOVE the illustrations in children's books.  And this book is no exception.  What kid wouldn't love the cover of this book?!  

This story opens with our main character Ethan checking under his bed for his monster.  But when he checks, find a note instead: "Gone fishing.  Back in a week. -Gabe".  You would think any kid would be so relieved they don't have a monster under their bed to scare them and then they could go to sleep soundly.  But for Ethan, that's not the case.  Ethan needs his monster to keep him in bed to keep him imagining all the scary stuff that could happen if he got out of bed.

He missed Gabe's ragged breathing, his nose-whistling, the scrabbling of his uncut claws, and his spooky green ooze.  Many substitute monsters appear but none are good enough for Gabe. 

Herbert was scary but not scary enough for Ethan.  He didn't have claws.  



Ralph's nail polished claws weren't scary enough.  



Cynthia's claws were very scary but when Ethan sees the bow on her tail, he decided he needed a boy monster.  



The fourth monster, Mack looks promising when Ethan sees his claws poke out from under the bed.  But when Mack shows his really long tongue, Ethan falls back with laughter.  (Look at cutie little Ethan here!)



Ethan's feeling really discouraged and thinks he won't be able to get any shut eye for the night.  



When all of a sudden, Ethan hears some creaking under the bed.


It's Gabe!  He's come back from his not-so-fun fishing trip. Gabe then begins with his puddle of drool, trembles the bed while he unfurls his spiked tails, and sharpens his claws on Ethan's bedpost.  



Ethan dives under his covers and pulls them up tight.  He's finally scared enough to stay in bed.  He's going to get a good night's sleep!



We read this book around Halloween time and my kiddos loved it!  We were working on organizing our thoughts in the writing process so we then wrote about our own monsters.  Here's one where I couldn't hold back my laughter.



If you'd like to buy this book, you can get it in hardcover format from Amazon for less than $13.



Check our other book recommendations by fellow bloggers by clicking on the picture below.  You'll see a huge collection of many bloggers' Book Talk Tuesdays.


5 comments:

  1. Such a cute book, and I love the follow-up writing idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I LOVE your blog design! It is very cute.
    That book looks adorable! It's now on my Amazon wishlist.

    -Molly
    KinderMolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog design! And thanks for the recommendation. I will eventually want to update the look of my blog and will probably use Designs by Kassie! Thanks so much! And that book looks adorable!

    Michelle at Dabbling in Differentiation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book and one of the CUTEST blog designs ever!

    ;) Jana

    ReplyDelete